St. Brigit’s Church, Macreddin West near Aughrim is one of 12 buildings in Wicklow approved for funding by Wicklow County Council under the Built Heritage Jobs Leverage Scheme (BHJLS) 2014 from the Department of Arts Heritage and The Gaeltacht. The large T shaped stone built church is known to have been burned and rebuilt in 1798, and subsequently extended in the 19th century. Although the church had its roof removed in the 1970’s, it has remained an important place for the local community with relatives buried in the graveyard and for observing the Annual Mass in July.
The local community, with assistance from workers on both the TUS and Rural Social Schemes operated by County Wicklow Partnership, have taken on the conservation and restoration of this local landmark. A programme of restoration and conservation work for the building was prepared by conservation architect Alistair Lyndsay. The initial stages of work involved the careful treatment, strimming and subsequent removal of excessive ivy growth. Following this, the masonary was inspected and a methodology for consolidating the stone walls by using an appropriate lime based mortar was drawn up. The works are currently underway and expected to continue for another two months. This will be an important milestone in the history of this building ensuring that it continues to survive for current and future generations.