Rathdrum - Avondale PURE Mile
Rathdrum was a garrison town and had many industries including a mill a distillery and flannel factories.
The mile starts at St. Saviour’s church, which is situated on Rathdrum Main Street and ends at the gates to the Avondale Estate. The first 300m of the Mile is in the town and has an urban landscape St. Saviour’s church is in this part of the Mile and it dates to 1830. It has a four bay nave, pointed windows, a three-stage west tower with a pointed door case.
The Mile moves through the crossroads and on up towards the eastern part of the town along the Avonmore river towards Avondale House which was designed by James Wyatt the architect who also worked on other famous buildings including Carton House, Slane Castle, Frascati House and Leinster House. Avondale House once housed the famous Parnell family and its grounds and house are currently open to the public. Corballis House and Corballis Castle are other substantial buildings along this route. This area between the Avonmore and Avonbeg rivers housed gentry and gentlemen farmers in the past.
Trees growing in the hedgerows include the mature ash, oak, beech and other native species.