10. Test Your Local Knowledge
Diversion 10. Look what I found! I came across this round of local questions from an old table quiz on my computer. Best of luck…
1. Which station lay between Dunlavin and Naas on the old Tullow branch of the Great Southern and Western Railway line?
2. The Pennefather family once resided in a landlord’s ‘big house’ near Dunlavin. Name the house.
3. The Ryves family once resided in a landlord’s ‘big house’ near Dunlavin. Name the house.
4. The smallest townland in Ireland is located near Dunlavin. Is it
· Man of War
· Merginstown Demesne
· Merginstown Glen
5. Who sacrificed his own life in order to give rebel leader Michael Dwyer a chance to escape from the cottage at Derrynamuck in 1799?
6. What do all these local places have in common?
7. On which local road will you find a place called the Salmon’s Lep (leap) Is it
8. Who was the last blacksmith to operate in Dunlavin village?
9. What do Jonathan Swift, St. Kevin and St. Nicholas have in common?
10. What was Monica Carr’s real name?
11. Name the local man who was chief executive of Tourism Ireland.
12. Which local townland has a name that means The Ford of the Flagstone?
Scroll for answers…
5. Sam McAllister
6. Old graveyards
8. Martin Collins
9. Dunlavin’s schools bear their names.
10. Mary Norton
11. Paul O’Toole
Add a comment about this page