6 & 7 October: Symposium at the Woodenbridge Hotel
8 October: Wreath-laying & Oration by Martin Mansergh, Glasnevin Cemetery, 12 noon.
Programme of Events
Woodenbridge Hotel, Avoca, County Wicklow.
Friday, 6 October 2023
- 6.30 pm – Registration at the Woodenbridge Hotel.
- 7.30 pm – Keynote Address by Professor Terence Dooley, Maynooth University: The Land Question in Irish Politics from Parnell to DeValera, 1879-1933.
- 8.30 pm – Wine reception and poetry reading by the Wicklow poet Jane Clarke.
Saturday, 7 October 2023
- 10.30 pm– Doctor Ida Milne, Carlow College and Doctor Ian Dalton: Parnell’s County – Wicklow on the eve of the revolution
- 11.30 pm – Pat Power: The Arklow Question
- 12.30 pm – 2.30 pm – Lunch break.
- 2.30 pm – Doctor Ciaran Wallace, Trinity College: Self government in Wicklow: the Parnell family and the County Grand Jury
- 3.30 pm – Felix Larkin: JFK – 60 years after Dallas
- 4.30 pm – 5.00 pm – Coffee break.
- 5.00 pm – Visit to County Wicklow Great War memorial Woodenbridge
- 8.00 pm – Symposium dinner at the Woodenbridge Hotel.
Glasnevin Cemetery, Glasnevin, Dublin.
Sunday, 8 October 2023
Ivy Day marks the anniversary of the death of Charles Stewart Parnell on 6 October 1891. This year the ceremony will take place at in Glasnevin Cemetery at 12.00 noon on Sunday, 8 October. The wreath will be laid and the oration given by Doctor Martin Mansergh.
The fee for attendance is 60 euro (including symposium dinner). Reduced rates are available for those who may not wish to attend the full symposium. Anyone with an interest in history particularly relating to County Wicklow, is welcome. Enquiries about attending the symposium should be made to the Academic Director, Christopher Power (phone: 0866089198 or email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
This event is grant aided by Wicklow County Council